Monday, July 11, 2011

First big coupon trip

This past weekend I was able to purchase $75 worth f goods from Rite Aid for $7! I used some coupons, store credit coupons, and a few rebates that I had. Now I have enough razors, body wash, deodorant, and shaving gel to last me a whole year. My next target will be cleaning supplies (i.e. laundry detergent, bleach, paper towels, etc.). I am not ready to stockpile a large quantity of food because I don't eat that much. I have some canned goods and pasta because they will keep for a few years and are handy when I don't feel like cooking a big meal.

I used websites and blogs to help me with this shopping trip. WeUseCoupons.com and Bargain Blessings are two of my favorite sites. They are completely free and offer lots of ways to save using coupons. I probably spent maybe 2 hours last week prepping for the shopping trip. One hour was spent reading the forums, websites, and gathering information about upcoming deals. The other hour was used to prepare my shopping list and get the right coupons.

One thing I learned from all of this: Don't use a coupon just because it will expire soon. So what if it expires. There will be others. This happened to me at Genuardi's and I spent about $40 more dollars than I wanted to. I did get a lot of stuff at 55% off but some of it was a little over board. Lesson learned. Make a list, stick to the list, buy items only on sale or with a coupon, save non-perishables, and stay within budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment